In Contra Costa County, falls are the leading cause of accidental injuries for residents 65 and older.
Our Fall Prevention Program:
- Provides Home Safety Assessments and home modifications to reduce preventable injuries.
- Educates community organizations.
- Develops exercise programs to help older adults increase balance and strength.
“Now I can get out to my backyard again.”
— Thelma W.
- What is a Home Safety Assessment?
- Who can request a Home Safety Assessment?
- Where can I get more information about preventing falls?
- Is there a fee for a Home Safety Assessment or fall prevention education?
- How do I sign up for a Home Safety Assessment or get more information about fall prevention?
What is a Home Safety Asessment?
A Home Safety Assessment will help make sure that your home is a safe place, so you’re less likely to fall.
First, a licensed occupational therapist evaluates your home and makes safety recommendations. Then, we work with a licensed contractor to modify your home. For example, we might install grab bars, a hand-held shower, a shower seat, or bed bars.
Who can request a Home Safety Assessment?
If you’re a senior (60 years or older) in Contra Costa County or an unpaid caregiver to a senior, you can request a home safety assessment.
Where can I get more information about preventing falls?
For more information, go to Resources. You’ll find a home safety checklist, advice on how to review your medications with your doctor, ways to improve your balance through exercise, and more.
Meals on Wheels and Senior Outreach Services also leads a 70-member Fall Prevention Coalition.
The Coalition meets each quarter to share best practices, resources, and develop fall prevention programs.
Smaller groups meet monthly to address issues such as medication management, balance and exercise, and how to make areas more walkable.
Interested in fall prevention? Join us – see the Fall Prevention Coalition’s 2012 schedule (PDF).
Is there a fee for a Home Safety Assessment or fall prevention education?
How do I sign up for a program or get more information about fall prevention?
Call Gennifer Mountain at (925) 937-8311 or email us. We’re in the office Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
To request a Home Safety Assessment, fax a Home Safety Modification Referral form (PDF) to Gennifer Mountain at (925) 946-1869.
To request fall prevention education for your community group, fax a Presentation Request form (PDF) to Gennifer Mountain at (925) 946-1869.